One Goal: Education for All

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

THE WINNING OF BRUCE QUEBRAL

Last night (June 26, 2007) was the eleventh eviction night of Pinoy Big Brother. Prior to this event I was contemplating to write about one of their contestants named Bruce Quebral who happened to be so proud of being a UPan (a student or alumni from the University of the Philippines). I believe this is an opportune time for me to write about Bruce because the writing will not be packaged as a propaganda against him, since he is already evicted, but rather an analysis of his joining and winning and its possible implications into the psyche of many lives that are witnesses of Pinoy Big Brother.
I must admit that I did not have the luck of viewing all the episodes of Pinoy Big Brother so as early as now I claim for all the correction as long as the misconceptions of this article. My only purpose is to have an intellectual grasp of the vivid happenings inside the house.
I don't exactly know the purpose(s) of Bruce Quebral upon his entry inside Big Brother's house. I also don't know much about the objectives of Pinoy Big Brother competition. One thing is clear in my mind, contestants represent the Filipinos, whatever value they bring inside the "house". Knowing that many people are watching them not only in the Philippines but all over the world makes their roles very sensitive. In this instance, I want to discuss two very revealing insights of mine.
During the feud between the three remaining girls inside the "house", I saw how Bruce made Wendy feel so special. He's always there to serve as Wendy's comfort and should I say protection. However, due to Bruce's deep affection for Wendy he seemed to forget the idea of objectivity. I saw him becoming powerless, being subdued by his emotions for Wendy. I commend the program for reminding Bruce about this instance.
Last night, upon Bruce's exit from Big Brother's house Toni Gonzaga asked him if his purpose(s) upon entry inside Kuya's "house" were served. (Forgive me if I wasn't able to deliver the exact words). Bruce proudly answered yes to Toni and the manifestation of the achievement was the meeting with Wendy. Though I am not familiar with Pinoy Big Brothers program objectives I don't believe that that is the only reason of each and every individual who auditions for this competition. I trust that there is a deeper reason apart from meeting someone "special" to your eyes that motivates joining in the Pinoy Big Brother Contest.
I was saddened by these observations. Again, I have nothing about this person that I am writing about but I have something with his acts.
How do these observations may affect the psyche of the viewers, especially those young minds who are so indwelt in this television program?

The view on the dynamics, both of development and progress, of intimate relationship will be affected. People will keep on believeing on love at first sight which brings false hopes to people. At the same time, there is a subtle approval on two-timing, since Bruce has a girlfriend outside the house and yet he is deeply engaged with Wendy. This puts fidelity among Filipinos in question. Finally, power relation was very revealing. Bruce being allowed to be overpowered by Wendy in the name of "love". But the real dynamism is there exist a power domination that subdued Bruce Quebral.
More so, the creation and conception of philosophy is also in trouble. For more than one hundred days of stay inside the "house", Bruce simply accomplished one thing, that is to meet Wendy, no more, no less. After all the hardships, the efforts, the tears that you have given up for the competition you will end up telling "I met her"; when in the first place during the audition the psyche was not that. Pinoy Big Brother is an opportunity to learn in life, to achieve personal improvement. What a pity to hear a statement such as that!
The winning of Bruce Quebral would be very controversial not only among the viewers but also to others who will analyze the event.

No comments: