One Goal: Education for All

Sunday, July 1, 2007

ROUND TABLE

We used to have a rectangular dining table. Whenever we eat we proceed to our "proper seat". Our location will depend on who will eat with us. And who among the family members are present for dining.
Many times i get a little confused, because the positions somehow signified a hierarchical organization. I mean you cannot sit there because someone is supposed to be there. The seats represent "power" in a subtle form. We even developed the terms "head" and "tail", upon which complicated my mind all the more.
Lately we were blessed with a round table from a friend. The first time I saw it placed as our new dining table I was so excited. I don't seek to defy hierarchy, (because I never ignored authority, especially inside a home.) rather I desire to escape from the discomforts caused by that rectangular dining table.
The round dining table brought ease and comfort. It has lessen the connotation of power laid by the rectangular dining table. It has maintained equality not in authority nor power but in enjoying meal due to the comfort and ease.

No comments: